Communities In Schools of Metropolitan Detroit
Communities In Schools of Metropolitan Detroit, a local nonprofit and affiliate of the nation's leading dropout prevention organization, is seeking a dynamic and
talented individual to fill an exciting Journalism and Communications Internship beginning on June 5, 2017 through August 31, 2017. An extended internship or
part-time position may be available during the Fall 2017 – Spring 2018 school year.
Journalism and Communications Internship
The successful candidate will have:
- excellent writing skills with the ability to persuade
- excellent verbal communication skills
- excellent editing skills
- excellent interviewing skills (adults and children)
- an interest in public education
- an ability to work with diverse populations
- an ability to work independently and within a group
- reliable transportation (travel to schools in Metro Detroit)
- Familiarity with taking photos and editing photos
- Graphic Design skills a plus
- Must have Microsoft Office skills including PowerPoint, Word & Excel
- Must pass a background check and drug screen
- Must be able to work 16-20 hours per week
- Must maintain confidentiality standards as outlined by CIS and partner schools
- Must be comfortable working in schools with K-12 students (mostly interviews)
- Attend weekly team meetings on Tuesdays at 10:00 a.m.
- Attend community meetings
- Must have a valid driver's license and proof of auto insurance
- Must be available on some evenings and weekends
Intern will work with CIS staff to complete the following projects:
- The CIS of Metropolitan Detroit e-newsletter (Summer issue distribution date: August 15, 2017)
- Monthly updates of website content
- Writing CIS of Metropolitan Detroit stories that are compelling
- Update social media content several times a week
- Write and pitch press releases
- Write brief weekly updates (constant contact distribution)
Internship Compensation: $20.00 per hour
Location: Communities In Schools of Metropolitan Detroit's administrative office:
26555 Evergreen Road, Suite 530, Southfield, MI 48076. Workspace with a desktop computer and telephone will be provided.
College juniors and seniors with related experience and/or coursework are encouraged to apply.
Email a resume, cover letter and your response to the article request below to Charlene Norris at
email@example.com. The deadline to submit all materials for this internship is Friday, April 28,
2017 at 9:00 a.m. Please include Journalism and Communications Internship in the subject line. Application materials received after the deadline will not be
considered. No phone calls please.
Every 26 seconds, a student drops out of school (by choice or circumstance) and into an uncertain future.
Prepare a compelling article (1500 words max) to encourage students who are considering dropping out of high school, to remain in
school and earn their high school diploma. Please cite all supporting resources.
Thank you for your interest in joining the CIS team.
Download Internship Information in PDF format »
Communities In Schools of Metropolitan Detroit, Inc.
26555 Evergreen Road, Suite 530 :: Southfield, MI 48076
Phone 313.571.3402 :: Fax 313.571.3404